Saturday, April 3, 2010

Years Gone By


Here is a photo of my grandpa with me on the right and my brother Garrett on the left. I believe this photo was taken in about 1976, so I was five years old. This was on a ranch we called "the Float" which was the ORO ranch northwest of Prescott. It is a huge chunk of private land that my dad, grandpa, and cousin hunted every year. It was open to the public until somewhere around 1980 when it was closed off. It had some great mule deer as this photo shows. When our family hunted there, it had no elk. Now there is a healthy herd of elk and some huge bulls are killed there each year with an outfitter who has the lease rights to hunt the ranch. I think the private land encompasses about 150 square miles, and controls access to more checkerboarded land. Some of my fondest memories as a young boy took place there while I tried to keep up with my grandpa or dad each day. I actually killed my first deer there. If anyone has any old time photos and stories they would like to share, they can email them to me and maybe I can post them. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment